Saturday, January 19, 2008

Circle Bistro

In the world of DC restaurant, Circle Bistro doesn't get much attention. A quick search on Google gave me few reviews (most of which were not for their dinner menu). Perhaps it's because the restaurant is affiliated with the George Washington University (and its students). Perhaps it's because the restaurant is located in a hotel. Who knows? In any case, I'm almost tempted to not post anything at all here. Wouldn't want people to start crowding up one of my new favorite places in DC.

Is Circle Bistro worth your $30?
Yes. Most definitely, yes.

Is Circle Bistro worth going to during Restaurant Week?
Debatable. Depending on how much you usually order.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to bring along the camera and the phone! So you'll just have to take my word here. For starters, their appetizers are big! The person I went with got an appetizer of mussels ($2 upgrade) and received a bowl, chock full of mussels, that appeared as if it could have been an entree in itself. In fact, I'm positive that the amount he got is equivalent to what an entree order of mussels is in Belgium. The mussels were cooked in a mustard-y sauce that the two of us eagerly mopped up with the bread. I approve. Cooked just right and not too tough.

I ordered an appetizer of fried oysters ($2 upgrade) and it did not disappoint. I believe there were six oysters total, six oysters of yummy creaminess and not greasy at all, despite being fried. The remoulade was especially nice and I dropped all pretenses of manners when I attempted to scoop out the remaining sauce with my fork and eat it. All in all, by the time the mussels and the oysters and the mussel sauce + bread was consumed....I was full.

Moving on to my lemon dusted trout! Not much to be said here, but the trout was lovely, light, and flakey. Presentation was elegant and the trout was cooked in a manner which allowed the meat to be not so "fishy." I even consumed the green beans! I may be changing my eating habits after all! Dauphin potatoes were delicately fried, light and puffy.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about their desserts, as they all contained fruit (I haven't evolved enough yet to get past my fruit eating issues), but I will tell you about their ice cream! Their vanilla beam ice cream is excellent. Creamy with the strong taste of vanilla coming through. I received three small scoops (not nearly enough in my opinion), an amount which would have been equivalent to one big scoop anywhere else. Upon tasting the ice cream however, I was determined to find out where the restaurant bought it from and horde a large supply for myself. Alas! Circle Bistro makes their own ice cream!

Service was quite good. The restaurant section of Circle Bistro is separated from the bar area, which is populated by noisy students. Our waiter was attentive, did not deny my request for only ice cream, and our water glasses were filled promptly. My only complaint would be that the hostess seemed rushed and curt with her responses to our questions. Perhaps this was due to the dinner rush and the restaurant being packed, but still...

So after this glowing recommendation, why do you ask that I hesitate to recommend Restaurant Week at Circle Bistro? To be honest, at first I didn't. I was all set to post a "GO NOW" type of post...and then I looked at the prices on their regular menu. To my surprise, Circle Bistro is not expensive at all! If I were to eat what I had eaten that night: oysters (10), trout (20) icecream (??), it would probably not have exceeded $30 by much in the first place.

What does this mean? This means that Circle Bistro should not be a special place saved for only Restaurant Week! This means that Circle Bistro is now my new favorite place to go and eat appetizers. You can bet I'll be there next week chowing down on some oysters and mussels.

Circle Bistro
1 Washington Circle NW
Washington DC
20037

No comments: