Saturday, August 18, 2007

PS 7

So Ting...

You know that I've always loved that San Diego had a Restaurant Week, but you know what's better about DC's Restaurant Week? There are TWO of them...yes, that's right...twice the indulgence, twice the gluttony, twice the eating.

But let me tell you, PS 7 definitely held its own in this year's plethora of choices. With its contemporary American cuisine, it offers the heartiness of grilled sirloin and mashed potatoes...but balances it with the elegance of a fresh tuna tartar. Having gone for Restaurant Week, I wasn't able to fully experience the range of Chef Peter Smith's talent, but from the opening selection of the rustic Roasted Tomato Soup,

to the main course of a Pan Seared Lamb Steak,
not pictured

topped off with a dessert of perfectly puffed Beingnets...

...I was thoroughly pleased.

Something about the cream in the tomato soup easily made it one of the best tomato soups I've ever tasted. Though I had to suppress my heart from screaming bloody murder about the excess cholesterol I was sending its way, my taste buds definitely found enjoyment.

The made-to-order steak of lamb was no different. With no aversion to the game-y taste lamb meat offers, I instinctively found my medium-rare cut flooded with natural jus and exploding with flavor. Let me tell you though (as simultaneously I pat myself on the back), I've only slowly been turned around on lamb meat spawning from my own red wine roasted lamb shanks, but this chunk of meat definitely caught my eye enough to choose over my all-consuming love for beef and even my growing attraction to duck meat dishes.

Though I know that a beingnet is fried dough puff, the order here, though tasty, was essentially a fried donut ball. Well made as it was, perhaps I should have gone with the safer cheesecake. Nothing was wrong with the beingnets, but then again, nothing stood out either.

Though it was not too busy during my visit, it was clear from its Penn Quarter locale that they draw constituents the young professional crowd. Its modest decor definitely spelled out comfort and neutrality. I rather enjoyed it, as I am a creature of comfort and the soothing color tones didn't make me feel rushed while indulging in my $30.07 RW meal.

All in all, I'd probably made a return visit if I could ever get my lazy-self out to the area. Or I could wait until the next RW rolls around.

PS 7
777 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
202-742-8550

No comments: